Friday, May 20, 2011

Alcohol Review: Romana Black Sambuca Liqueur

For the first update, I thought I might do a nice beer that goes with dinner, or a wine that sits well with everyone.  Then I realized that would be normal, and I am anything but.  Therefore, we are going straight into one of my favorite "dessert" liqueurs, Sambuca.  More specifically, Romana Black Sambuca. 

Gentlemen.


Sambuca usually contains star anise which gives it a very distinct and sweet flavor.  Now a days it usually comes in three varities: Sambuca, Sambuca Red, and Sambuca Black which are categorized by their colors.  It is very popular in Middle-eastern and Asian society as a way to give food and drink more "taste."  However, the big turn-on (or off) is the flavor of licorice that accompanies it.  This right here is what makes people prematurely turn away or not give this after dinner shot a chance.  However, next time you finish a nice meal and feel the need for a powerful "kick" to complete it; look no further.

Alcohol type: After-dinner Liqueur/Dessert Drink
Manufacturer:  Romana
Country of Origin: Italy
Price Range: $20-30 (750ml/Fifth)
ABV: 40%
Served in: Shotglass (by itself), Coffee/Tea Cup (mixed)


Packaging:  One of the nice perks about Romana Black is that it comes in a very sleek and sharp looking black 750ml bottle.  On the front it has a picture of the Roman coliseum with a brief description of its taste and texture on the back.  This is one of those drink bottles that you could have sitting on a shelf at your home or work and would look very nice or professional.  In fact, if you own all three varieties, line them flat for a vibrant display on a shelf in your dining or guest room.

Eye-Candy:  See the picture below.  Most people would describe Sambuca Black's color as well, black.  However, under the correct light it is actually a very dark shade of indigo or blue.  Under direct artificial light it will actually have a very interesting red rim around the top of a clear shot glass.  Under more natural light you usually see the indigo colored rim. 

Indigo rim is barely visible.  Much easier to see in person.

Take-A-Whiff:  If you do not like the smell of licorice I advise you to skip this step.  Just a tiny whiff and your brain will begin to start its "happy dance."  It is very powerful, very strong, and I recommend to actually inhale only once or twice before drinking as some of my friends have said that the drink loses its touch if you wait too long and just smell it before drinking.

Tongue-Spasms:  Right when the drink hits the tongue are you going to feel a very crisp, strong, and sweet taste.  Where Amaretto is sweet like a Dr. Pepper, Sambuca is like throwing an entire extra cane of sugar in there.  That is the magic of the star anise flavoring at work.  I guarantee you that just one shot of this will fill up any hardcore sweet-tooth's quota for the after dinner dessert.

Smooth-Ride:  If you have a sensitive throat you may want to rethink this one.  I would give it a 3 out of 5 on the "burning" factor.  You will feel it in your throat for the next 2-3 minutes for sure.  However, for most people this is not the uncomfortable burn that hard whiskey gives you, but a sweet "exotic" burn.

The double glass for those of you who like to live on the "edge."

Irish Wonda: This is one of my favorite after dinner drinks when I want something a little more intense than Amaretto.  Not only that, but there are many ways to drink it.  Just want a normal dessert drink?  Straight is the way to go.  Want to look like a dignified gentlemen? Add half an ounce to your coffee instead of sugar or sweetener.  Want an Italian original?  Drop three coffee beans of your choice into the shot and chew on the beans as you drink it.

As always, have fun, drink merrily, and have a designated driver.  Raise your glass D/FW, this one is on me.

10 comments:

  1. I first tried Sambuca while living outside Venice....

    Though I was likely drinking poor-man's Sambuca, I liked it then, and will have to try this (obviously) classier version!

    I would suggest, however that Sambuca is FAR, FAR better when added to espresso. Espresso has a depth of flavor that pairs well with the Sambuca, and it was the favorite after-dinner combination for the Italian men in my neighborhood. Try it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, I will have to give that a shot sometime. I am actually not a big espresso or coffee guy as I like most of my alcohol straight. I never mind trying something once though to get a taste for it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Romano Black is the best when it comes to Sambuca Nero.

    I cannot get it in Canada and therefore miss it as an after dinner drink along with Espresso or in, for that matter.

    I REFUSE to purchase ANY other Sambuca Nero.

    If anyone has a bottle handy, I'd like to know who manufatures/bottles it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bottle I have says it is bottled in Italy and imported br Paddington LTD, Norwalk, CT.

      Delete
  4. Has anyone have this black sambucca turn a green color?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Has anyone have this black sambucca turn a green color?

    ReplyDelete
  6. My Christmas present of Romana Black Sambuca is green and doesn't taste like any I have purchase before.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I taught my husband to drink Sambucca Black with plain soda water for his digestion at night, especially tummy aches and gas. It's wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mine turned green too… why? Is it still ok to consume?

    ReplyDelete